Academic and Employment History
Publications and Creative Works
- (in preparation) Bettivia, Rhiannon. “Invisibility and Opacity in the Digital Archive”
- Bettivia, Rhiannon and Elizabeth Stainforth (2017). All and Each: A Socio-Technical Review of the European Commission’s Europeana Project. Digital Humanities Quarterly 11:3.
- Bettivia, Rhiannon. (2016) “Where Does Significance Lie: Locating the Significant Properties of Video Games in Preserving Virtual Worlds II Data”. International Journal of Digital Curation 11:1. University of Edinburgh: Digital Curation Centre.
- Bettivia, Rhiannon. (2014). “Boxes”. Qualitative Inquiry 20:3. SAGE Publications.
- Forthcoming 2017: Stainforth, Elizabeth and Rhiannon Bettivia. “The Dynamics of Scale in Digital Heritage Cultures” in Zhu, Yujie et al Eds. Berghahn Books: Oxford, UK.
- Bettivia, Rhiannon. “A Guided Tour Through the World of One Adolescent’s Girl Culture.” (1999). Co-authored with A. N. Valdivia. In S. Mazzarella and N. Pecora [eds.] Growing Up Girls: Popular Culture in the Creation of Identities, pp. 159-174. New York: Peter Lang.
- Bettivia, Rhiannon. “Gender, Generation, Space, and Popular Music.” (1999). Co-authored with A. N. Valdivia. In C. McCarthy et. al. [eds.] Sound Identities: Popular Music and the Cultural Politics of Education, pp. 429-446. New York: Peter Lang.
- Bettivia, Rhiannon and Elizabeth Stainforth (2017). Performative Metadata: Reliability Frameworks and Accounting Frameworks in Content Aggregation Data Models. iConference 2018, Sheffield UK.
- Bettivia, Rhiannon. The Power of Imaginary Users: Designated Communities in the OAIS Reference Model. ASIS&T Annual Meeting. Copenhagen, Denmark. October, 2016.
- Bettivia, Rhiannon. Mapping Significance of Video Games in OAIS. Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Digital Preservation (iPRES), October 3-6, 2016, 212-220.
- McDonough, Jerome; Senseney, Megan; Bettivia, Rhiannon; Evans, Craig; Kraus, Kari; Kirschenbaum, Matthew; Donahue, Rachel; Egert, Chris; Phelps, Andrew; Decker, Adrienne; Lowood, Henry; Rojo, Susan. Preserving Virtual Worlds 2 Final Report. (2013).
- Bettivia, Rhiannon (2017). Educating Digital Stewards. Digital Preservation Blog: International Digital Preservation Day (invited post).
Invited to apply by the University of Manchester
- Encoding Power: The Scripting of Archival Structures in Digital Spaces using the OAIS. Webinar for the Digital Preservation Coalition (DPC), Glasgow, UK. October, 2016.
- Engineering the University: An Interview with Julia Flanders for the empyresoft_skinned_space. March, 2015.
- Reading for Graduate School. Graduate School of Library and Information Science, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign. September, 2014.
- Stainforth, Elizabeth and Rhiannon Bettivia. Negotiating the Scalar Politics of Digital Heritage. “Researching Digital Cultural Heritage” Conference. Manchester, UK. November, 2017.
- Bettivia, Rhiannon. BitCurator as a Teaching Tool for Distance Education. BitCurator Forum 2017. Evanston, Illinois. April/May 2017.
- Bettivia, Rhiannon. Colleagues and Communities: Engaging Labor Across Intra-Institutional Digital Divides. Association of Library and Information Science Education Annual Meeting. Atlanta, Georgia. January 2017.
- Bettivia, Rhiannon and Stainforth, Elizabeth. All and Each: The Dynamics of Scale in Digital Heritage Cultures. Association of Critical Heritage Studies Conference. Montreal, Canada. June, 2016.
- Bettivia, Rhiannon and Velez, LaTesha. How green is your valley: investigating LAM+D e-waste policies to improve LIS environmental education. ALISE 2016. Boston, MA. January, 2016.
- Bettivia, Rhiannon. Mapping Significant Properties in OAIS: A case study with video games. ASIS&T Annual Meeting. St. Louis, MO. November, 2015.
- Bettivia, Rhiannon and Stainforth, Elizabeth. All and Each: Dialogues in the Digital Archive. Pararchive Conference, Leeds, UK. March, 2015
- Bettivia, Rhiannon. Encoding Power: the Scripting of Archival Structures in Digital Spaces using the Open Archival Information System (OAIS) Reference Model. ALISE Jean Tague-Sutcliffe Doctoral Student Poster Competition. January 2015.
- Bettivia, Rhiannon. Seeing the Unseen: The Politics and Privileges of Invisibility and Opacity in the Digital Archive. Digital Memories 5, Oxford, UK. September, 2014.
- Bettivia, Rhiannon. Memory and the Archive: New Media Systems of Assembly and Preservation. HASTAC, Lima, Peru. April, 2014.
- Bettivia, Rhiannon. The Significance of Time and Place: Preserving Virtual Worlds and Carmen Sandiego. GSLIS Research Showcase, University of Illinois. March, 2013.
- Bettivia, Rhiannon. Games Grown Up: Gender and Shifting Identities in Game Development. National Communication Association, Orlando, FL. November 2012.
- Bettivia, Rhiannon. Presentation on open source cataloging tools for small, unaffiliated memory organizations (SUMOs). Illinois Summer Research Symposium, University of Illinois. August, 2011.
- Bettivia, Rhiannon. Presentation on land use and history in Sonora, Mexico.Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC) Conference, University of Iowa. July 2004.
- Bettivia, Rhiannon. Presentation on honor crimes and their cultural origins in the Middle East. CIC Conference, University of Minnesota. July 2003.
- Bettivia, Rhiannon. Presentation on adolescent girl culture and media studies. International Communication Association (ICA) Conference, Montreal, Canada. 1997.
Workshop Leadership (Planned and Facilitated)
- Revising the University: Exploring Extra-textual Scholarship. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. April, 2015.
- On Arriving at the Digital: Describing Critical Paths into the Digital Humanities/Al llegar a lo digital: Describiendo senderos críticos en las Ciencias Sociales Digitales. HASTAC, Lima, Peru. April, 2014.
Masters Thesis Supervision
Awards and Fellowships
Award for Service to Underrepresented Minority Students2015Educational Equity Programs, Graduate College, University of Illinois
Boyd Rayward Doctoral Fellowship2015Graduate School of Library and Information Science, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Ernest J. Reece Fund for Library Research2014Graduate School of Library and Information Science, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Summer Pre-Doctoral Institute2011Educational Equity Programs, Graduate College, University of Illinois
Finalist, NYU Reynolds Award2009Tisch School of the Arts, New York University
Excellence in Research, Summer Research Opportunities Program, University of Illinois2003University of Illinois
iPres 2021 Conference Bid Committee
- Implemented minority inclusion program for the first time in the history of the conference
Peer Reviewer, Museum & Society Journal
- Reviewed content for special issue
Reviewer, IMLS National Digital Platform Initiative
- Took part in panels and discussions covering past accomplishments and future directions for National Digital Platform funding initiatives; October 2017.
Reviewer, Institute of Museum and Library Services
- Reviewed grant proposals in the area of digital preservation
Training and Certification
Training and Certification for ISO 16363 Audits and ISO 16919 Auditor Standards2014Primary Trustworthy Digital Repository Training Authorization Body, Ltd
Semantic Web Databases for Cultural Heritage2017ResearchSpace, the British Museum, and the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, London, UK